When you use herbicide solutions from Corteva Agriscience, you’re getting more than just weed control. A significant amount of time, effort and resources go into the process to create a new formulation from Corteva.
Formulation application scientist Brandon Downer provides a look at that process in an effort to show not only what goes into making a new formulation but also how Corteva Agriscience™ products and services stack up against generic herbicides.
First off, let’s take a look at Corteva on a global scale:
Not all those 21,000 people will work on a new formulation, but those of us who do, do not take the process lightly. A brand-new herbicide, from discovery to launch, will:
Not every product launched is entirely new. Some are improved formulations of current products. However, those still require about two to five years to develop.
When we say a “formulation,” what we mean is a way to deliver an active ingredient to a specific target site in a usable form. This typically refers to a discrete composition containing an active ingredient or to several active ingredients and other coformulants. These make up about 40% of the formulation. The remaining 60% includes other ingredients, such as diluents/solvents, emulsifiers, stabilizers and performance aids.
Once we know a herbicide will work to control weeds, we run it through dozens of tests to ensure you’ll be able to use it safely and relatively easily. If the product fails at any point during the testing process, it’s sent back for reformulation and then we start the tests all over again.
The goal is to make sure that any failures happen in the lab and not when you’re using the product in the field.
Here are just a few of those tests:
These are just a few of the dozens of tests a new herbicide undergoes at Corteva. And remember: If, at any point, the new product fails one of these tests, it goes back for reformulation.
Once the formulation is released, our job isn’t over. If the unexpected happens with a product, we will be there to make it right. That’s why we always recommend reaching out to your local retailer who can work directly with your Corteva Agriscience territory manager to figure out the issue.
It’s important to note, that by choosing Corteva Agriscience products, you’re getting value that goes beyond weed control. You’re getting the support of a company that is invested in making sure your needs are met — something you don’t necessarily get with generic products.