Your customers may be skeptical of biological products — and understandably so.
“Unfortunately, the biologicals market has been plagued with products using claims that aren’t backed up by science,” says Ron Geis, market development specialist, Corteva Agriscience. “Farmers who feel that they were taken advantage of are much more guarded to try products in this space.”
Naturally occurring biological products with proven performance make a valuable addition to a diverse set of farming practices — whether your customers’ practices are completely organic, mostly conventional or simply focused on what works best for their farms.
“Current farming practices have brought us to the point where 2% of the population feeds the other 98%,” Geis says. “We know current practices work well. Adding biological products can help us continue with our productivity trends in a more natural and sustainable fashion as we push for even greater food security.”
Coupling biologicals with traditional practices is a positive step in addressing some of the societal concerns around how food is produced while continuing to supply more food to feed an increasing population. Biologicals work through different modes of action than traditional products, so using them can help reduce resistance and give conventional products a longer use-life on the farm.
“Our current chemistries are quite effective, but continued use has historically led to resistance,” Geis says. “Biologicals provide another avenue of management that helps prolong the life of both traditional chemistries and new biological solutions.”
A better understanding of biologicals and adherence to best practices can help maximize biological investments. Biologicals are natural — and in many cases — living products, so proper handling and storage is critical.
“Each biological product is unique, and proper handling can be the difference between a moneymaking proposition or lost profit potential,” Geis says.
Encourage customers to read the label closely before deciding if a particular biological product is right for their operation. What are the storage temperature requirements? Does the biological require refrigeration? What is the shelf life? Are there any tank-mix limitations?
After proper handling and storage practices are considered, biologicals also can be coupled with traditional solutions for a comprehensive crop protection approach to increase yield potential.
“One example of where we find better ROI with our nitrogen-fixing product Utrisha N is when it is applied to acres that receive Instinct NXTGEN or N-Serve nitrogen stabilizers,” Geis says.
Instinct NXTGEN® and N-Serve® nitrogen stabilizers work below ground, maximizing nitrogen’s effectiveness with up to eight more weeks of availability in the soil.
Utrisha® N is an alternative supplemental nitrogen source that can be tank mixed with many crop protection products — such as fungicides and herbicides — to increase crop yield potential. By capturing nitrogen from the atmosphere for crops to use, Utrisha N can even replace part of the sidedress-applied nitrogen fertilizer requirements, particularly in areas where nitrogen loss is common due to issues like heavy rains or light, sandy soils.
See why this Illinois retailer recommends testing out a biological product such as Utrisha N:
It’s important to note that all Corteva Agriscience products go through years of testing to ensure they consistently deliver results. Corteva biologicals complement the products you already trust, working to enhance the success of your customers’ crops. Learn more by reaching out to your local Corteva Agriscience representative or by clicking here.
Instinct NXTGEN® and Utrisha® N are not registered for sale or use in all states. Contact your state pesticide regulatory agency to determine if a product is registered for sale or use in your state. Do not fall-apply anhydrous ammonia south of Highway 16 in the state of Illinois. Always read and follow label directions.